Tuesday, July 24, 2007

When yellow turns to pink

You can already tell that we are having twin girls from the name of the blog, but that is my fault for not starting this earlier. Finding out the sex of your baby, or babies in our case, is obviously one of the most exciting parts of the pregnancy. It is definitely more exciting then waking to the sound of late night snacking in bed, having to switch out your soap (because of the smell), or witnessing your wife eat microwave sausage biscuits for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We both went back and forth on own predictions until last Friday - when yellow turned to pink. Official pre ultrasound tally:

Elizabeth - girls
Ian - boys
My coworkers - girls (by one vote)
Elizabeth's friends - boys
Ian's friends - girls

You notice a trend here. All of her friends thought boys and all of mine thought girls - some sort of a destiny thing. "There is no way Elizabeth can handle boys so she is definitely having them". The same for me with girls. Of course, when it boils down to it, all you really want to see is two healthy hearts beating, two healthy babies growing, and one healthy mother smiling back at them - and I got that! This ultrasound is much more thorough then the previous ones with the assistant taking measurements of various bone lengths, blood flows, body weights, etc...I was amazed at the reassuring detail the process provides. Our babies were busy bouncing around throughout the scan, but managed to slow down briefly enough to pose for a few pictures and most importantly to settle the debate - girls or boys. And just like that - we knew. Baby A.....a girl. Baby B....a girl. Shortly after that blissful moment of carefree happiness, staring up at my little girls on the flat screen monitor, I was transported into the head of Steve Martin in Father of the Bride, in shock about his daughter getting married. I'm not sure if it's because Elizabeth has made me watch the movie so many times or if the books I have read are right -the first instinct in the father figure is to worry about the financial aspects of raising children and that this in-depth ultrasound can make the whole experience real for many expecting dads. I am here to tell you - right then, it felt real.


The images of our two little babies on the screen were quickly replaced with images of Elizabeth and two little girls dressed to the nines, toting Prada purses and strutting out of the house in coordinating colors of Tori Burch flats. Notions of early retirement were replaced with concerns of how we could possibly afford two college educations, two weddings, two.....well, two of everything. But then another feeling came over me - one of inspiration. I realized I was going to be a dad and that my three ladies and one chihuahua were going to look to me for that support.
The subtle, unassuming yellow nursery was about to take on a life of its own - bring on the PINK!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the website, Ian and Elizabeth. I told Eliz I would send her lots of food, she just needed to tell me what, so now I know she needs a 6 month supply of Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits. Cant wait to meet them.