Friday, July 27, 2007

Halloween in July!



What do Butterfingers, chocolate syrup, and Nutella have in common? They were all in our grocery cart on Sunday. It's like the girls' first Halloween....in July. I anticipated the grocery bills going up after the babies arrive, but I should have planned ahead a little better as they already have healthy appetites. So healthy in fact, Elizabeth tried her first meatloaf last night!

We went to see the Broadway version of The Lion King this weekend and apparently the girls enjoyed the music as much as we did - Elizabeth said they were dancing around like crazy the rest of the day. Going to the play was a good look into what the future holds. There were tons of dads with their kids - their little jaws on the floor and eyes open wide as they took in everything from from the bongo drums to giant giraffes. Definitely have to remember to do this again - once they can remember it.

I guess its about time to own up to a story that has been floating around for some time. It's only fair to level the playing field since this blog is a little one sided. It goes back to the first ultrasound I went to - when I heard the two hearts beating for the first time. There are several versions of the story so I figured I would share the truth. Unfortunately its not as drastic as many would like to think, but embarrassing for the expectant father nonetheless. So there we were, the "little beans" on the screen and we could hear their hearts beating. Disclaimer: I don't do well in a doctor's office to begin with. I guess the whole experience was a little overwhelming. Next thing I know I was feeling light headed and judging by the look on Elizabeth's face, not looking as tan as I did on our arrival. I had to lean against the table, then upon instruction from the nurse sat quickly down in a chair. I was sweating profusely and took a few minutes to stand up. I could not really communicate so Elizabeth and the nurse made the decision to go get me a coke so I would feel better. Remember, "we" are pregnant, but Elizabeth is the one carrying these babies and now I am the one laid out in the chair having my pregnant wife bring me a coke. The news spread like wildfire in this unfamiliar place, where I was drastically outnumbered by female patients, nurses and doctors. I think I was one of three men in the whole office! Next thing I know we are walking down the hall and all the nurses are smiling at me asking if I was alright. As we walked by I could hear them whispering "he was the one....". I couldn't wait to get out of there. Unfortunately, given the fact that we are expecting twins, is only fitting that I get to go back about 4 times as much as the typical father. I am still working on a quick comeback - please share if you can think of anything....So now you have it - the true story. I did not chip a tooth or break an arm by passing out. I was not laid out on the floor or a stretcher, even though I might as well have been. Still - quite embarrassing. Don't worry - I already have some other embarrassing moments to share and we are not even half way through this experience....all in due time.


Here is another picture of Elizabeth....and the girls.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Elizabeth...you look great!

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog...I look forward to watching the experience through Ian's perspective. Congrats....

Lizzie and Reed

Julie Feldman said...

Gorgeous as always! What a superstar - I loved reading about your twin adventures!